If you are tired of the Monotony of the crowded Hill stations in around Delhi. Then Prashar Lake in Mandi District is the Best way to go in the laps of Nature.
The Deep Prashar Lake is situated in the Mandi District of Himachal Pradesh in a saucer shaped valley surrounded by the snow caped mountains touching the sky above them. This place is named after the famous Hindu sage Rishi Prashar at a height of 2730 meters above the sea Level. The three storied Pagoda shaped temple dedicated to the Rishi Prashar and a small revolving island in between the lake could also be seen which changes its position on the regular intervals.
The Lake offers a amazing natural beauty surrounded by the dense forest of Deodar trees to feel and relax in the quite nature.
How to Reach Prashar Lake
From Mandi you can easily reach Prashar Lake. The distance from Mandi is only 50 Km approx. You can take Mandi – Kullu route via Kataula crossing Runjh,Katindi, Kamand, Kataula, Shagli and Baggi villages.
Kataula is the main village in this valley and Baggi is the last village to enter the on the road leading to the Prashar Lake.from here the destination is only 11 Km away but the road from here is really rough and passes through the dense Deodar forest which will keep you excitted and energetic all the way to the lake. The nature would surprise you all ove the way with water falls and the deep lush green valley down at points of time.
Taxi could be hired from Mandi or Kullu if travelling by bus. the Buses run between Mandi and Prashar lake on daily basis. The time table could be checked from the local HRTC Bus office.
It would be a great idea to stay here for a couple of days – to explore the serenity around.
There is a PWD guest house and a Forest department guest house at a walking distance of about 300 -400 mtrs from the lake. The view from the guest houses is magnificent.
Both of the guest houses has caretakers to provide basic facilities along with cooking.
The PWD Guest House having 5 suites can be booked at:
- EE Padhar Tel: 01905-222151 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Forest Guest House can be booked at:
- DFO office Mandi Tel: 01905 – 235360
- RFO Kataula, Tel : 01905 – 269469
Apart from that, you can also stay at the temple authorities dormitory-type-rooms with very basic facilities.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the place is April to July and October to November. when the weather conditions are good. In winters and rainy season the roads are not good so the destination should be avoided as there are the chances of Landslide and slippery road due to snow and some times with the heavy snowfall the roads are even closed.
- Book the guest houses on prior basis from the above mentioned numbers as the room might not be available due to many visitors or peak season (Apr – Aug approx).
- The road to the Prashar lake is not an easy one. It’s very important to hire a good car and an experienced hilly driver. Click here to see the taxi services from Mandi.
- As the temple is east facing, best time to visit the temple is before 8 am when the sun is just rising above the mountains in front of the temple.
- Due to snowfall in winters be prepared to trek the last 5-6 km stretch to the lake.
- In winters there might be scarcity of water due to broken water pipes owing to freezing temperature, so carry some potable water bottles along with you.
- Fill your fuel tanks with enough petrol @ Mandi or Kullu, as there is no petrol pump in the hilly region.
- You might enjoy local festival in June.
- While visiting the hilly areas, please pack warm clothes & carry the first aid kit.